And his wife Verona Noakes Clegg

Compiled by their daughter, Ida Clegg Bird

Transcribed October 1998 by Carl Clegg

Note: Corrections added by transcriber are enclosed in square brackets [ ]. No other attempt has been made to correct dates, spelling, punctuation, or grammar. All text is as found in the original document. All parenthesis ( ) are from the original author.

Israel Eastham Clegg was born in Liverpool, England, March 30, 1849. He was the second son of Henry Clegg, who was born June 7, 1825 at Bamberbridge near Preston, Lancashire, England. His father was the youngest of a family of eight (8) children born to Henry and Ellen Cardwell Clegg and [who] were highly respected people of the middle class.

When Israel’s father was twelve (12) years of age Heber C. Kimball and other elders came to Preston with a message of the restored gospel. His father and brother (Johnathan) were in the market place in Preston when the coach arrived with the Missionaries from America and heard Heber C. Kimball say "Amen" when he read the Lord’s banner across the street inscribed, "Truth Will Prevail".

His family attended the Latter Day Saints meetings and were converted. Israel’s grandfather was the second man to be baptized in England. He and George D. Watt ran a race to the River "Ribble" to see who would be baptized first. Mr. Watt, being a younger man, won the race and therefore was the first man baptized in England. Israel[‘s] grandparents lived and died in Preston and were always faithful to the gospel they embraced.

Israel’s father (Henry Clegg) had a good education and followed the shoe making trade as did his father. At the age of eighteen (18) Henry married Hannah Eastham of Preston, Lancashire England in 1844. Hannah was born in August, 1821 to Thomas and Elizabeth Eastham. Her family disowned her when she joined the church.

Henries’ [Henry’s] family moved to Liverpool when their first child, Thomas was born on Christmas day 1844. Israel Eastham was born March 30, 1849 and Henry James was born February 22, 1852. When Thomas was nine (9) years old he was accidentally burned to death bringing great sorrow to his parents.

After years of work and planning they saved enough money to start on the long trip to Zion. They left friends and loved ones never to see them again with the exception of his Father’s brother Johnathan who came to Utah a year latter in 1856. With the love of the gospel burning in their souls and a new adventure before them they sailed from Liverpool, England March 31, 1855, aboard the ship "Juventa" when Israel was only six (6) years old. There were 573 saints on board and the captain was William Glover. They arrived in Philadelphia May 5, 1855. From Philadelphia, the company went by railroad to Pittsburg[h] and then on steam boats down the Ohio River to St. Louis, Missouri. From St. Louis they went with the Saints to Mormon Grove, an outfitting place near Atchinson County, Kansas.

There they prepared to make the long journey across the plains to their haven of rest among the Saints where they could enjoy their new religion. Israel’s mother (Hannah) did not have the privi[lege] of seeing Zion. She was taken ill with Cholera while camped there and died, May 28, 1855 and was buried there the next day.

On July 1, 1855 the little company of 402 souls and 45 wagons left for the West. The next day while on their journey Israel[’s] younger brother Henry James died of exposure and starvation and his father walked back to Mormon Grove and placed the little body in the same grave in the arms of his Mother.

Now Israel and his father was left alone to continue the journey. They walked the entire distance of one thousand miles across the plains arriving, in the Salt Lake Valley September 25, 1855 in the Richard Ballantyne Company. They were foot-sore and weary but were given a hearty welcome from the Saints who had preceded them. They lived in Salt Lake and Israel learned and helped his father in the shoe makers[‘] trade. In 1858 they moved to Springville. Israel’s father had a gift of writing poetry and was a splendid musi[cian]. He played the Dulcimer which he brought from England and also accompanied and led a chorus of sixty (60) voices. Israel inherited some of his father’s music ability.

In his younger life he suffered many hardships as did most of our pioneers. He never knew what it was to have a full stomach. His father had a large family as he married two (2) wives after coming to Utah. The smaller [children] had to be [fed] first and if there was enough to go around he had his share. He watched his stepmother fry griddle cakes in a pan dusted with flour as there was no shortening to be had. The worked hard to help his father in a shoe shop to support his family. As the family grew, the majority being boys, he felt it necessary to move his family to a homestead in Heber Valley, in 1872.

Israel remained in Springville and married his boyhood sweetheart, who lived across the road for so many years. She was Verona Amelia Noakes. They were married February 1, 1873, at home and later in the endowment house in Salt Lake City on October 9, 1876.

Verona was born June 30, 1856 in Springville. She was the oldest child of Susan Amelia Childs and John Hubbard Noakes. They were the parents of nine (9) children, two sons, Israel Eastham Jr., and Henry Lewis; seven daughters, Hannah Lucetta, Verona Amelia (Millie), Alice, Mary Ellen (Ella), Elsie, Mable and Ida all born in Springville. Hannah died when at the age of 2 and Alice died at the age of fifteen. In 1940 Millie and Elsie both died and Israel Eastham Jr. died in 1944. All the children are married and reside in Springville.

Israel’s wife Verona was the eldest of a family of eleven children. Their first home was built at Second East and First North near the Old Fort.

Verona would gather Sarvico Berries and other wild fruits to dry for winter food. There was many Indian troubles at that time and the children would hide under the bed when they would come to beg for food.

Her [Verona’s] father was a veteran of the Indian Wars. He served in the Walker War from July to October 15, 1853. In 1856 the Tintic War broke out and Verona’s father was on hand with a good horse and one for his companion. He served as guard at Fort Supply and in 1857 he served as a second scout around For Bridger in Echo Canyon heading off Johnson’s Army. During the settling of Utah he served as body guard for Brigham Young. When the Black Hawk War was started in Manti, April 9, 1865 he was one of fourteen men that left Springville to take part. He served in Captain Pace’s company. He lived to be eighty (80) and died October 3, 1910 in Springville.

After Israel and Verona were first married their first home was a one room log house by the creek on Third East and Second South. They later moved out to Fourth East and Fifth South and built a two room adobe house.

When their first child was born, Verona took down with Typhoid Fever and was bed fast for three months. Israel’s father Henry Clegg gave her a blessing and promised her that she would live to have a family and enter her 70th year which was fulfilled.

Mother was a hard worker and raised fruit and berries which father freighted to Park City and other mining towns. She never was a public woman but one who worked hard rearing her large family. She made all her clothes by hand and did large washes on the board not knowing the convenience of an electric washer or iron. The children wore hand knit stockings which seemed to wear for ages. Her cellar was filled with canned fruits, sacks of dried corn, apples, apricots, plums and peaches and also included was a barrel of cured pork with potatoes and other vegetables, ready for winter.

Father helped [organize] the Shepherd-Clegg Orchestra and played for dances both here and surrounding communities. Many are the experience Mother would tell of how they would clear everything from their large front room and play for a dance, taking all kinds of produce such as squash, flour, vegetables, dried fruits, etc., in exchange for a dance ticket. Mother would cook supper and serve the crowd. Many of the dances would last until the "wee" hours of the morning. When the dance was over, father would hitch his team to the wagon full of produce which Mother and the children had gathered and start for Park City or other mining towns never thinking to take a few hours rest. He usually would take along one of the children for company. On his return trip he would bring back a load of lumber or shingles from the saw mills in the canyon.

Father also worked on the railroad. He often told me of working at Promitory Point, Utah and was there when the Golden Spike was driven linking the railroads from East to West.

Father was a good musician but played everything by ear never taking a lesson of music in his life. He played the Dulcimer which his father made and at that time was used in place of a piano. He also hoped to organize the first Marshall band, playing the Drums in it for many years.

On the fourth of July the band members always serenaded the town going from one end of the town to the other playing such tunes as, "The Girl I Left Behind Me", "Yankee Doodle", "Marching Through Georgia", etc.. In later years the Marshal Band played for the 24th of July celebrations and Black Hawk parades, bringing a lump to ones throat when we heard the old Marshall Band music and what it meant to the men long since gone.

Father was an Indian War Veteran having taken an active part in the early Indian troubles in Utah. He was drummer boy in the Whitmore Company. He use[d] to tell how he would call the men to arms by beating on the drums any Indians were seen approaching. He was a State Officer in the Indian War Veterans Association at the time of his death. Each year for many years the Veterans would visit the schools bringing with them a large American Flag and how proud they stood by as the children sang the old war songs. It was quite an occasion to look forward too.

The Clegg family was a very sociable family. Many are the large social and family get-to-gethers with plenty of music and fun for all. Relatives from near-by commu[nities] would come by wagon with all the youngsters snuggled down with hot bricks and flat irons to keep them warm. There seemed always room no matter how big the crowd. Beds were pulled apart, the spare straw ticks placed on the floor and several children tucked in one bed and how much fun they would all have. The older ones would sleigh ride over drifts that would cover the fences with sleigh bells ringing and all singing till it was time to go home. They would then pop corn and make molasses candy.

Father’s home always seemed like a traveler[’s] home as any one going through Springville stopped there. Father would feed and care for the team while mother would feed and make room for some friend or slight acquaintance.

He served as first four year councilman in Springville and was very interested in the affairs of the community. Being chairman of the City Power Plant he would have to make two trips a week to the power house and I remember packing a lunch for us to take as it was an all day trip with buggy and horse. The road was only a wagon road through the canyon but to me it was quite an outing there and back.

He took up farming and was a succes[s]ful farmer and [stock] raiser the remainder of this life. He was an honest up-right and honorable citizen and a kind and loving husband and father. His greatest delight was when he had his children and grandchildren around him.

He died March 29, 1923 just a few hours before his 74th birthday and was surrounded by his loving wife and children in the home where he lived to see his Golden Wedding Anniver[sary], less than two months before. He was buried in the Springville City Cemetery Easter Sunday, April 1, 1923.

Mother had a full and complete life bringing nine children into the world. She never was idle in latter years, doing lots of hand work, knitting, making quilt tops, braiding rugs and last but not least her crochet work. She was kind and was loved by all who knew her. She died in the home of her oldest daughter, Millie.